We migrated a web site from Windows to Linux and immediately upon viewing the site, we realized the majority of the images were broken.

    In the world of Windows, filename.JPG equals the same as filename.jpg but in the world of Linux, these are not the same.

    In the images folder, the filenames were listed in the uppercase form but in the HTML, the files were referenced using the lowercase form.


    I am frequently troubleshooting problems in a Windows Command Prompt.  There are some functions which can be tested at a very basic level.  For example, if I am unable to connect to a server via Windows Explorer, I might jump into a command prompt and try to ping the server. 

    ping [servername]


    Among the many skills we possess, we manage a number of content management systems (CMS).  Our preferred CMS is Joomla and it seems there's always something I end up hunting down.  On a recent project, "Home" appeared on the frontpage of a client's site.  Initially, I thought it was a breadcrumb but after a little digging around, I discovered the source:


    I've been playing on an Ubuntu machine recently which was not set to automatically update.  The following commands will acquire the updates and install them.  First run:

    sudo apt-get update

    You will be prompted for an elevated account password which will then be followed by a list of sites, sources and packages scrolling up your screen.  At the end, you should see "Reading package lists... Done" at which point, run the following:


    In a previous post, I explained how to disable the Windows 7 firewall and leave it to Microsoft to change how an operation is performed.

    Like the previous post, there are times when I don't want the firewall in the way of troubleshooting a problem.  The following is how to disable it.

    From a Command Prompt run as the administrator, enter the following:


    © 2020 sevenlayers.com